*This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link
Hi, and welcome to my newest blog post. In this blog post, I will tell you how to understand fast-speaking natives with one of America’s much-loved series: The Gilmore Girls.
Here is what I’ll be looking at in this blog post:
- What is the Gilmore Girls about?
- How to understand fast-speaking natives
What is The Gilmore Girls about?
The Gilmore Girls is an American series set in the sleepy, fictional town called Stars Hollow. The main themes of the Gilmore Girls is the relationship between mother and daughter. The series also looks at other different topics such as family, romance, education and friendship. It also looks at how different generations solve different problems in life.
The main characters in this series are:
- Lorelai Gilmore. She is a woman in her thirties, who loves drinking coffee and loves pop culture. Lorelai owns a local inn.
- Rory Gilmore. She is the only daughter of Lorelai. She wants success and drives herself to become successful.
- Luke Danes. He is the owner of the coffee shop in the town. There always seems to be something wrong with him.
- Richard and Emily Gilmore. They are the parents of Lorelai and the grandparents of Rory. Emily is a high society housewife. Her husband, Richard, is intelligent and works in insurance.
There are many other characters who are in the series. As with many series, they are either permanently involved from the beginning to the end or they join for a few episodes, then leave again.
The series finished in 2007, but there was a mini series on Netflix called ‘Gilmore Girls, A Year In The Life’. Here is a link to a previous blog post about the best Netflix series to improve your English.
Many natives are fast-speaking. Have a look at the trailer for the series below and see how much you can understand.
Did you understand a lot of this trailer? It’s not a problem, if you didn’t. If you did, then you are on the right track.
As we can see from the above trailer the characters love to speak quickly. This is actually what many natives do. We usually speak quicker in our native languages, because we can think quicker. Therefore, we try to express our views as quickly as possible.
How to understand fast-speaking natives
Here are some of the best ways on how to understand fast-speaking natives with the Gilmore Girls:
- Don’t concentrate on understanding every word, but rather the main themes of the episode. if we concentrate too much on every word, we lose sight of the themes and topics in the episode.
- Don’t be put off by the speed of the actors. Yes, the actors may speak quickly, but nevertheless, this should not put you off watching what is a very enjoyable series. There are lots of parts, which will make you laugh and smile a lot.
- Don’t use subtitles while watching the series. If we watch the series with subtitles, we concentrate more on the written words, rather than the acting.
- Re-watch scenes. If we re-watch scenes, then we understand the context of what was said better than beforehand.
- Make a note of the words / phrases. This way you can look them up in a dictionary at the of an episode to make sure you understood them properly.
Understanding a fast-speaking native is not easy. Nevertheless, I hope these tips have helped you a little bit towards understanding fast-speaking natives.
Have you been inspired by this series, then buy it here:
Comment below and tell us which tip you used.